RARE MILITARY Folding Trench Shovel Swedish Attack M58 Fältspade Klas c. 1958 introduced.
General Western Military Issue.
USED condition. Condition may be slight different from the photos. Have multiple shovels for sale.
For an impressive study of this shovel, see Four Bees article on "Swedish Folding shovel" or "Fältspade Klas." A respected military historian, the author says this is "the best folder I've ever encountered."
The specific points he mentions that must be found in order to differentiate it from the almost identical Mil-Tec copies, are the following:
- Flat Olive Drab color (as opposed to shiny green finish on the copies)
- Back stamp found under the upper two rivets on shovel back -- three crowns, the Swedish mark of identification -- NONE OF THE COPIES HAVE THIS.
- Rounded rivet heads (not sharp as in the replica)
- 2 holes on top of shovel face for attachment of snow shovel addition
- Mark on hex-bolt for handle to shovel face: "BUFO M 80"
- open ends of frame pipe at bottom and handle
- expert weld of main curved back pipe to "T" piece handle
We have photographed these points. They are in the photos for this listing.
It is thought that this shovel was introduced about 1958 to the Swedish armed forces. If so, it could have been used in the Vietnam War of 1955 - 1975. However, it is unlikely to have been sold to the U.S. military by Sweden since Sweden opposed the US Vietnam conflict. It could have been introduced into Vietnam in the prior two Indonesian Wars.
Regardless how it got to this country, it is a rare find.